Final General Fund Revenue and Capital Budget Proposals 2022
Report of the Cabinet Member Finance and Assets to follow
The Cabinet Member Finance and Assets presented the report, which formed the final stage of the council’s budget proposals and would be put before full Council on 22nd February. He highlighted the key changes, which included a further £21k investment into the base budget to support climate change projects and the wider economic recovery. This was supported by a minimal rise in council tax, equating to under 10p a week at Band D.
He added that the Planned Maintenance Program had been reviewed by the Asset Management Working Group, which had responded positively to its proposals. Various organisations including the C5 Parish Councils Group had been briefed on the proposals too, with positive feedback. These partners had emphasised a number of topics, including climate change, the widening of the socio-economic gap during the pandemic, and the importance of playing an active role to support key sectors, including voluntary work.
He added that only three public responses had been received, likely due to the November budget review having happened relatively recently. These responses, as well as the relevant member’s replies to them, were included in the report. The budget proposals were also considered by the Budget Scrutiny Working Group, which had presented its feedback to the Overview & Scrutiny Committee. He added that CBC’s planned council tax rise of £5 a year (2.34%) was relatively low in comparison to other nearby councils.
The Cabinet Member Economy and Development praised the base budget investment in an apprenticeship program and wider economic development, and noted that it supported the objectives of the Economic Recovery Task Force.
The Leader described the report as outstanding considering the challenges faced in the last year, and praised officers for their work.
The Leader moved to a vote, where it was unanimously:
1. The revised budget for 2020/21 be approved;
2. The budget assessment by the Section 151 Officer at Appendix 2 be considered in agreeing the following recommendations;
3. The final budget proposals be approved, including a proposed council tax for the services provided by Cheltenham Borough Council of £219.08 for the year 2021/22 based on a Band D property (an increase of 2.34% or £5.00 a year for a Band D property), as detailed in paragraphs 4.17 to 4.22;
4. The growth proposals at Appendix 4 and outlined in Section 6 be approved;
5. The savings / additional income totalling £400,000 and the budget strategy at Appendix 5 be approved;
6. The use of reserves and general balances be approved, and the projected level of reserves as detailed at Appendix 6 be noted;
7. The capital programme at Appendix 7 be approved;
8. The programmed maintenance programme at Appendix 8 be approved;
9. The flexible use of capital receipts strategy as detailed in Appendix 9 be approved;
10. It be noted that the Council will remain in the Gloucestershire business rates pool for 2021/22 (paragraphs 4.6 to 4.16);
11. The Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) detailed in Section 5 and Appendix 10 be approved;
12. The Pay Policy Statement for 2021/22 be approved, including the continued payment of a living wage supplement at Appendix 11;
13. A level of supplementary estimate of £100,000 for 2021/22, as outlined in Section 14, be approved.
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final budget 2021-22, item 8. PDF 654 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final budget 2021-22_App2_S151_commentary, item 8. PDF 574 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 3 - Summary Net Budget Requirement, item 8. PDF 134 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 4 - Growth_Summary, item 8. PDF 10 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 5 - Savings_additional_income, item 8. PDF 244 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 6 - Reserve_Statement, item 8. PDF 204 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 7 - Capital_Programme, item 8. PDF 46 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 8 - Planned_Maintenance_Programme, item 8. PDF 100 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final budget 2021-22_App9_Use_Capital_Receipts_Strategy, item 8. PDF 352 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final Budget 2021-22_Appendix 10_MTFS, item 8. PDF 16 MB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final budget 2021-22_App11_CBC_Pay_Policy_Statement, item 8. PDF 463 KB
- 2021_02_16_CAB_COU_Final budget 2021-22_App12_Budget_Consultation_Questions_Public, item 8. PDF 399 KB