Agenda and minutes
Venue: Pittville Room - Municipal Offices
Contact: Sophie McGough, Democracy Officer
There were no apologies.
Declarations of interest
There were no declarations of interest.
The minutes of the last meeting held on the 15th February were signed as a correct record.
Cheltenham Food & Drink Festival, Montpellier Gardens, Cheltenham
The Licensing Officer introduced the report. He explained that Garden Events Limited had made an application for a new premises licence in respect of Cheltenham Food and Drink Festival which is to be held in Montpellier Gardens. He advised the sub-committee that the company had been running the event in Montpellier gardens for the past 11 years. The licence application was for the period of 8th June 2018 to 21st June 2018; however, the event was to take place on the weekend of the 15th June. The proposed timings of the event were from 12:00–19:00 on the Friday, 11:00-19:00 on Saturday and 11:00–17:00 on Sunday. He reported that no objections had been received from the 9 responsible authorities, however, one objection had been received from a nearby resident. The Licensing Officer explained that whilst both the applicant and objector had been invited to attend the meeting only the applicant’s representative Miss Andrea Soole was in attendance.
The Licensing Officer advised the sub-committee that in determining the application they must seek to promote the four licensing objectives which are: (a) the prevention of crime and disorder; (b) public safety; (c) the prevention of public nuisance; and (d) the protection of children from harm.
In determining the application the sub-committee were reminded that they could:
· Grant the application as applied for or subject to such changes and / or conditions as the sub-committee considers appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives; or
· Refuse all or part of the application.
The applicant firstly began by handing out a revised map of the proposed site. She explained that the revised map had been produced to show the location of the music stage.
Following questioning the Licensing Officer confirmed that there had been no previous recorded complaints of crime and disorder or public nuisance as a result of the Food and Drink Festival on the council’s public protection corporate database.
The Members then proceeded to ask the applicant a series of questions. Miss Soole explained that:
· Garden Events Limited had applied for the licence for the period of the 8th – 21st June as they were likely to need this amount of time to put up and take down the site. She advised that careful consideration was given to the trees and surrounding area when erecting marquees.
· She reported that there would be security lights and 24 hour security on site throughout the period of the 8th-21st June.
· She confirmed that alcohol would be left on site over night as transporting it back and forth would cause more issues wither regards to traffic and damage to the site. She again reiterated that security would be on site 24 hours to manage this.
· She advised that security lights would be used not flood lights as suggested in the report. These would be focused downwards and not cause any light pollution to nearby residents.
· Miss Soole couldn’t confirm what the entry price would be but advised that it ... view the full minutes text for item 4.