Minster Innovation Exchange (formerly Workshop Cheltenham)
Report of the Cabinet Member Finance
Appendices 2, 3 and 4 exempt.
The Leader of the Council presented the report, in the absence of the Cabinet Member Finance, noting that several appendices were not in the public domain due to commercial sensitivity. He added that Cabinet had been supportive of the project since day one, and thanked Mark Sheldon for his role in making it possible. He praised it as a mix of cyber and culture that should be taken advantage of in order to maximise benefit for the town.
Earlier in the year, Cabinet had agreed in principle to a joint venture investing in the project, and it was now possible to make this a reality. The government launched the Getting Building Fund in July, from which the council received an allocation of £3.114m, which helped guarantee that the project would happen and ensure that the benefit could be spread across the whole Minster area. He reported that details continued to be worked out, and there would be a consultation on the masterplan around this. He asked Members to agree to take responsibility for the Getting Building Fund grant, confirm their willingness to enter joint venture, and take responsibility to make sure it happens. The overall budget commitment would go before full Council later in the month.
The Cabinet Member Economy and Development added that it was fantastic news for the town, and that having a Cheltenham-centric growth hub would support local businesses and encourage entrepreneurship.
The Leader moved to a vote, where it was unanimously:
1. The council accepting the award of the Getting Building Fund grant from the GFirst LEP of £3.114m be approved, and authority be delegated to the Executive Director Finance & Assets, in consultation with the Cabinet Member Finance and the Borough Solicitor, to agree final terms and contract for the Getting Building Fund grant with the LEP;
2. The council accepting the award of the Tier 2 Growth Hub residual grant of £433,638 and taking over the role of promoter of the Growth Hub be approved, and authority be delegated to the Managing Director Place and Growth, in consultation with the Cabinet Member Finance and the Borough Solicitor, to agree final terms and contract for the Growth Hub grant with the LEP;
3. The council entering into a joint venture (including the incorporation of the new limited liability partnership (LLP)) with WSC to manage MIE be approved, and authority be delegated to the Executive Director Finance & Assets, in consultation with the Cabinet Member Finance and the Borough Solicitor, to:
a. agree the final terms of the Joint Venture;
b. approve the form of and the council entering into any documents required to put in place or otherwise facilitate the creation of the Joint Venture;
c. take any decisions (to include, without limitation, the approval of all documents) considered necessary by the Executive Director Finance & Assets to facilitate the creation and/or operation of the Joint Venture.
4. The council entering into a contract with WSC for WSC to deliver the design and build of the MIE be approved, subject to the final terms being agreed and, in accordance with Contract Rule 6.2.1, it be agreed to waive the requirements of the council’s Contract Rules to enable the design and build agreement to be entered into provided that the estimated value remains under the applicable threshold for a full procurement process determined by the Public Contracts Regulations 2015;
5. Authority be delegated to the Executive Director of Finance and Assets, in consultation with Cabinet Member Finance, to agree the final terms of the design and build agreement and such other documents as may be required relating to the construction and delivery of the MIE and to approve the council entering all required documentation, including a commercial lease to the LLP for the management of the MIE;
6. The public realm masterplan for the Minster grounds at Appendix 6, as outlined in section 8, be approved for consultation, and authority be delegated to the Managing Director Place and Growth, in consultation with the Cabinet Member Finance, to respond to the feedback from the consultation;
7. It be recommended that Council approve the gross capital budget for MIE of £4,671,000, as per Appendix 5, to be incorporated into the council’s budget and capital programme for 2020/21.
- 2020_11_10_Minster Innovation Exchange_report, item 9. PDF 527 KB
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 9./2 is restricted
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 9./3 is restricted
- Restricted enclosure View the reasons why document 9./4 is restricted
- 2020_11_10_Minster Innovation Exchange_appendix 5_indicative capital budget, item 9. PDF 198 KB
- 2020_11_10_Minster Innovation Exchange_appendix 6_public realm masterplan, item 9. PDF 3 MB