Addition of names to the War Memorial, The Promenade, Cheltenham
Decision type: Non-key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 12/02/2021
Decision due: 12 Feb 2021 by Cabinet Member Healthy Lifestyles
Lead member: Cabinet Member Healthy Lifestyles
· Royal British Legion committee
· Jimmy James, local WW1 historian
· Senior Projects Manager at Cliveden Conservation
· CBC Property Team
· PA to the Mayor
· Customer Advisor for Local & Family History at Cheltenham Library
· Local historian, David Drinkwater
· War Memorials Trust has requested more information before granting permission
· CBC Planning Team (planning permission to be applied for)
· Royal British Legion committee is supportive
· Jimmy James (the historian we worked with previously on Cheltenham Remembers) reviewed the evidence and suggested there could be a case but if we accept the addition of Cpl Pargeter’s name we should also consider a second name (Pioneer Mitchell) as they would fall under the same inclusion criteria.
· Cliveden Conservation (who previously undertook work on the war memorial) would be able to undertake the work and have quoted £575 for one name and £800 for both names plus VAT. We have worked with this firm before so they know the monument and the specifics of the style of lettering and stone.
· There is underspend in the civic budget which could be used to fund the work.
· So far one relative of Pioneer Mitchell has been contacted and is supportive.
· War Memorials Trust has confirmed that any works to the war memorial within 6 years of the grant in 2016 require consent from them and they have requested 3 pieces of evidence in order to consider the case.
· CBC planning team will be consulted about obtaining listed building/monument consent if these additions are approved.
- 12/02/2021 - Addition of names to the War Memorial, Promenade