Leader Allocation of Executive Functions
Decision Maker: Leader
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To authorise the Head of Property, Finance & Assets or in their absence the Executive Director – Finance and Assets to:
a) take decisions (including key decisions)in respect of the acquisition of properties which are considered to be suitable for use as affordable housing (in accordance with the parameters set out in Section 4 below), and subject to budget allocation, and in consultation with the Cabinet Member Housing;
b) take all necessary steps and undertake all necessary procedures including entering into any legal arrangements or other documentation as may be required to implement or facilitate the acquisitions, in consultation with the Borough Solicitor.
Reasons for the decision:
To facilitate timely executive decisions on this matter.
In order to maximise flexibility and to achieve value for money, the council will purchase homes on the following basis:
1. Homes of any size will be considered.
2. Affordable housing being provided pursuant to s106 obligations and/or housing that has previously been provided as affordable housing pursuant to s106 obligations will be considered.
3. Multiple properties may be acquired per site and/or per developer or landowner, subject to compliance with legal advice on the application of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015.
4. Former social housing properties will also be considered.
5. Subject to any relevant s106 provisions providing for a lesser than open market rate being paid, in which case that lower rate will be paid, open market rates will be paid, subject to the maximum price of £350k on homes of 3 bedrooms or more.
6. Consideration will also be given to the purchase of long term empty homes as part of our strategy to reduce the number of vacant homes in the Borough.
7. A range of operational criteria will be met to ensure that properties purchased will be both appropriate and fit for purpose as social/affordable housing. Particular regard will be given to the following:
a) Ex-council homes. All houses or flats will be considered. This may include homes of non-standard construction, where this is likely to assist with future potential regeneration aspirations or options appraisals. All homes bought will be let at the Decent Homes Standard.
Alternative options considered:
To refer the decisions to Cabinet. Not favoured because of the need to facilitate timely executive decisions.
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Cabinet Members-agreed to proceed as planned.
Publication date: 03/09/2021
Date of decision: 03/09/2021